Thursday, July 14, 2005

Show Me The Money!!


What's wrong with the political parties? Well, I don't think that there are two parties, just 1.05 political parties. 95% of the time, they agree, with all of the bickering and dissent coming on that last 5%. Well, it's maybe a little more than that, however, the things that I believe in and would like to see happening, aren't covered at all. Why? Well, both parties are full of rich, white men, with a few exceptions for appearance's sake. The token minorities, if you will. I am not attacking those people, they have earned their way, they just don't have the equal footing to represent the people that they should. I don't think that there should be some sort of affirmative action in congress (hey...Maybe I do, I'll get back to you on that), I just think that the people's interests are not being watched over. Well then, who's interests are the government looking out for? Whoever pays.

It's not who pays their salaries though, which I think is what upsets me the most. We have a government that is paid on taxpayers money, votes its own raises, and doesn't really give a rat's ass about the actual taxpayers. Unless you're a BIG taxpayer. In which case, they will be more than happy to accept your campaign financing money and vote however the hell you want them too. And since, according to our courts, a corporation is a person, they call a lot of the shots. I know that Rs are typically associated with being pro-business, anti-regulation, but Ds are often just as bad. They're getting the same money, from the same corporations to help steer law in a favorable direction. I think one of the most dishonest jobs of all time is that of a professional corporate lobbyist. Not so much dishonest, I guess, as just blatantly wrong-minded. There's an area in the capitol building, where the lobbyists sit and watch what's going on. Do you know what everyone refers to it as? The owner's box. I don't care if that's intended to be a joke, because I don't see it as one.

You want to fix the government? No more campaign donations. Set up a public fund to help out candidates (who more often than not, are very wealthy to begin with). Let the taxpayers vote on how much to pay the government employees, not the employees themselves. I sure as hell don't get to vote on how much I get paid. Start paying the lawmakers as much as the lowest federal employee. If I can survive just north of the poverty level, so can they. Or even better, pay them minimum wage. Which is what, $6 or 7 an hour? Well, it is if you listen to the RW political commentators (a la Rush Limbaugh). Try $5.15. Of course, that's way too much to pay a employee with no real skills, like a fast food restaurant (who receive subsidies since they are "educating their workers," among other things--have you ever worked at a McD's? If you can work a microwave, then you're already trained). So let's move the jobs overseas. Grrr...I'm going to stop on this subject for the time being, it can be it's own blog or twenty.

Anyway, back to the jackasses on capitol hill. Do you know much our esteemed CinC, 'lil Dub makes? $400k. His puppeteer, DC, $208,100. All the senators and all the congressmen, $162,100. Oh, they have an important job? I work 12 hours a day in direct support of the so called Operation Iraqi Freedom, how much to I make? $17,474.40. I'm not just a schlub doing paperwork either, I'm a weather forecaster with more education in weather than it takes to get a bachelor's degree in meteorology. I don't think that the men in the pretty suits should be making any more than I do. How about teachers, do they get paid enough? They do an important job. Lot's of people with important jobs don't make 6 figures. Why not? Because we don't get to vote our raises.

To come back to my original point, you and I pay the salaries of all the elected officials. They sure don't act like it, though. I think it's time to change that. What was the supposed cry of the revolution? "No taxation without representation!" I don't feel particularly represented, do you?

7 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger WunEyedDog said...

I thought you might like that. Being a public servant is often a very unappreciated line of work. In my case, it sometimes is a hated job. Ah well, we all get to choose what we do. Then we deal with those who disagree.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger sweetviolet said...

so no taxation without representation...conor knows where this is going...so someone tell me why children can't vote. if they work, they pay income tax. we all pay sales tax. thoughts?

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger WunEyedDog said...

You know where I stand on that, but for everyone. Voting starts when you start paying taxes. End of story.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger sweetviolet said...

did you just use the word aristotilian?....drinking is a different issue methingks. if taxation without representation (not intoxication) is the issue. can you elaborate on your skepticism? why aren't fifteen year olds capable of voting?

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger sweetviolet said...

...ok fine...i'll continue my argument with myself. if we're going to make knowledge of the issues, or maturity an issue in being allowed to vote, then we'd have to exclude a lot more people. just because YOU didn't care about politics, doesn't mean that there aren't many fifteen year olds out there that do, tax-paying ones to boot.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger sweetviolet said...

oh break out the baby brains on me. that was a very weird sentence. ok, i do agree that there are larger issues, and believe me there ARE kids fighting for voting rights.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35455

http://www.youthrights.org/vote10.shtml

i don't think that an uninformed voting public is even part of the issue. if you believe in a democratic republic, you have to assume that there are no wrong votes. its what makes that form of government work. plus that argument was used to prevent women from voting too. and it was assumed that they would vote the vote of their husband. hogwash. the secret ballot is the safeguard to people voting their minds. i wish i had voted as a 16 year old, i was even more idealistic than i am now, and perhaps we could use that in the mix. as far as adolescents not making decisions based on logic and reason, lets take the kennedy/nixon debate. you know the story...the radio people thought nixon won, the tv people thought kennedy did. why? because kennedy was pretty. you know people voted for clinton because he was charasmatic (not that he didn't deserve the presidency), but this is why they wear red or blue ties, and have people who's job it is to market them to the public. its all about spin baby. we're vulnerable to that as adults too. byebye

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger sweetviolet said...

i love that you start out many posts with "i understand your point" or some variation therof. you've the rare skill of diplomacy. thanks for the rousing banter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home