Saturday, October 08, 2005

Religion in Politics

I read an interesting article today. I have a lot of arguments with people based in one form or another on religion. Our leaders are fundamentalist and many laws are being passed based on the teachings of prophets and the words of a supposed God. We are not the only people who act this way, but we're becoming increasingly so. However, when I come to people from a non-religious stance, I am summarily dismissed. This article says my point much better than I could. Here's a couple of excerpts:

But faith in religion is just one type of faith. Atheism can be called faith in evidence, agnosticism faith in doubt and science faith in logic. These are no less human faiths than those in an unseen God.

The issue is whether religious faith should be allowed to intrude with impunity in such secular areas as politics or science and still claim the protection of reverence and law. The answer, shafars should loudly proclaim, is no. Once Southern Baptists, Catholics, Jews or Muslims enter the political arena, they are no more entitled to special protection or regulated rhetoric than a Democrat or a Republican.

It's really early and my brain is on a serious slowdown, so I'm somewhat incoherent, sorry. Just read the damn article and tell me what you think.

4 Comments:

At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing.

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger WunEyedDog said...

Yeah. I was stupid tired when I read that last night. My comments don't exactly make sense, but I'm really glad I found this. I always have a hard time explaining this idea to people, that just because I don't believe in a God, does not invalidate my religious views. I've spent a lot more time thinking about it than most, that's fo' damn sho.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger sweetviolet said...

oh, sarah. i don't think you're naive. not really. you're just unassuming.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger WunEyedDog said...

I just don't think that our current regime in power has anything to do with conservatism. Other than repressive, backwards social regressivism, if you consider that to be conservative. They certainly wear the banner, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home